EXPLAIN HOW TO MANAGE DIVERSITY IN THE WORKPLACE
This course is intended for employers and employees, including managers, Human Resource Managers, Non-Government Organisations (NGOs) and people who work with issues of diversity, who are responsible for creating a harmonious work environment. It will lead individuals to acquire knowledge and skill to effectively manage diversity in the workplace, which should, in turn, improve productivity, deal with negative behaviour and promote inclusion in the process of change.
A manager in the context of this course is the manager of a small business and first line managers of business units, team leaders and supervisors in medium and large organisations. The term business unit implies a small business, cost centre, section or department.
The course was developed as a means of contributing to change in leadership focus and empowering managers to look at people issues.
How You Will Benefit:
- Understand the concept of diversity.
- Understand the role and responsibility of an organisation in managing diversity.
- Understand the role and responsibility of the individual in creating a harmonious work environment.
- Know how to explore issues in a specific workplace in order to suggest ways of managing diversity.
What You Will Cover:
- The concept of diversity with examples.
- Reasons why certain people in an organisation voluntarily group together in terms of commonalities, affiliations and support.
- The implications of different groupings for group dynamics, cohesion and synergy in an organisation.
- The concept of stereotypes and indicate the dangers of judging people based on preconceptions of a group.
- The impact of organisational structure on the management of diversity with reference to policies, practices and the Employment Equity Plan.
- The importance of consultation in managing diversity in the workplace and the consequences of neglecting to consult employees.
- The potential benefits if management provides Employee Assistance Programmes (EAP) or employee wellbeing programmes and why on-going evaluation of such programmes is important.
- The importance of communication and literacy as a means of managing diversity for a selected workplace.
- Ways in which an individual can positively influence the work environment in terms of managing diversity.
- Ways in which an individual can negatively influence the work environment in terms of managing diversity.
- The responsibility of the individual to contribute to democratic processes in an organisation and indicate when and how it is possible for employees to exercise their democratic rights in a specific organisation.
- Issues of diversity in a specific workplace.
- Employment Equity (EE) statistics for a specific organisation and what the statistics mean in the particular situation.
- Observable issues of diversity in an organisation.
- Improving diversity management in the organisation.